WILDBAY is looking for girls who lead, who are different than the crowd. And the fact that you are reading this blog, means you are one of these inspiring girls! Let’s show the rest of the world that it is possible, that we can change the fashion industry. The horror of fast fashion is getting worse. Let’s make sustainability freaking hottt and affordable.
Fast fashion is speeding towards an environmental disaster.
Most of us live in the ”rich west” and don’t experience the horror of fast fashion. We only buy and that’s it.
I understand you feel so happy when you found a super cute item for a cheap price. I had the same. But I started doing research when I started WILDBAY…
I hope that after these facts below you know ”what” you buy when shopping for a dress from a brand like Shein, Fashion Nova, Romwe, (partly) H&M styles etc.
Fast fashion affects the world very badly
- One garbage truck with textiles is wasted every freaking second
- We produce 400% more clothes than 20 years ago
- Clothing can take up to 200 year to compost, shoes 2000 years
- 35 kg textile waste is generated per person each year in the US
- 22000 liter of toxic water is dumped into the rivers in Bangladesh every day
- Degraded soil (dehydrated land) will lead to a decrease of 30% in food production over the next 20-50 years! Poor countries will suffer so so much
- 10% of the global carbon emission comes from the apparel industry
Fast fashion affects the workers daily lives
- An average working day is 14-16 hours
- 7 days a week
- 96 hours per week is a ‘normal’ working week for garment workers
- During peak season garment workers have to work until 2 or 3 at night to meet deadlines of fast fashion brands
- 168 million children in the world are forced to work, especially in the fashion industry
Fast fashion affects your body
- 1 kg of chemicals is needed to produce 1 kg of textile
- 63% of items tested from major brands contain very hard destoying chemicals that can lead to cancer
- 23% of all chemicals produced worldwide are used for the textiles industry (how freaking toxic are clothes omg)
- 20000 people die of cancer every year as a result of chemicals on cotton
BUY ETHICAL BRANDS
WILDBAY want to make sustainability freaking hottt and affordable
- Recycled items
- Fair wages, health insurance and working hours for the workers
- The fabrics produced via a special process to reduce the use of oil, chemicals and water
Lots of love
p.s. follow @wildbayswim on social media to support ♥